United Way of Greater Cleveland is dedicated to the eradication of poverty and social disparities in our community. If we are to make progress to address systemic inequality, we must first address that structural racism and economic inequity are evidentially linked.
United Way of Greater Cleveland recognizes that systemic racism and other forms of oppression have contributed to racial disparities that have existed in the past and persist in the present. We further acknowledge that many of these inequities are the result of policies and practices that have worked to marginalize entire populations of people in Greater Cleveland, including examples such as redlining and limited access to quality healthcare. We unequivocally denounce racism, hatred and all forms of discrimination because it undermines the well-being and vitality of our community.
We will leverage our role as a leader, an advocate, and a convener to dismantle disparities, and to engage and include the voices in our community of those who have been traditionally marginalized. Based upon community listening sessions, we commit to convene public and private partners to co-create solutions that ensure everyone has the resources and support required to create a community that provides equitable opportunities for all.
We are committed, but not limited to doing the following to work purposefully to contributing to the creation of a society where race is no longer an indicator of outcomes:
- We will identify our own blind spots and our own biases.
- We will seek to understand the historical and current racial trauma that our neighbors, friends and coworkers encounter every day.
- We will continue to provide race, diversity, equity and inclusion training to our staff, Board of Directors, volunteers and agency partners.
- We will develop and use racial equity as one of the criteria in making community investments.
- We will remain unified in our efforts to bring light to this issue by advocating for the recognition of racism as a public health crisis.
- We will dismantle racial barriers in our community through partnerships with organizations that have deeply rooted knowledge and experience in social justice.
- We will continue to publicly denounce racial injustice.
- Finally, and most importantly, we will continue to advocate for and support those who continue seek social justice and racial equity.
Our race, diversity, equity and inclusion work is guided and supported by the following commitment statement and key community leaders.